Monday, August 17, 2009

Pulling my hair out - literally...

I had a startling realization last night. I was brushing my hair & when I finished I saw there was a bunch of hair caught in the bristles. That's not entirely an unknown phenomenon I know (especially since I'm a rather vigorous brusher). However, I then ran my hands through my hair & noticed more than normal coming out in my hands. So I think the hair loss is beginning. Of course, its not too bad yet - a few strands here & there. Its just that I think the hair loss will make this journey *really* feel REAL finally... Up to this point, with the exception of the port, I'm still pretty normal looking. Once the hair falls out, it will be obvious that something weird is going on with me. Oh well, can't do anything but wear hats & my wig and go on with life.

Today I have another blood-test (every Monday until who knows when). Mom & I are going to get together before we leave and work our magic on our faces with the make-up from the Look Good Feel Better program. I think we both experimented yesterday for church too! If I say so myself - we look awesome when we try! Then we're off to Target (I think) for some incidental purchases. I plan on bringing home a pizza for supper too! Simon's going to be with us as well.

Right now I'm actually still in bed while I write this. I'm a *VERY* slow starter these days. I've actually been up for over an hour, but it just takes me a long time to get motivated to actually do much moving (beyond bathroom & picking up the computer). I felt pretty good Saturday, but the bottom dropped out again yesterday. I'm trying to save my energy for our visit to the big O-boro. Mom says its typical to have good days surrounded by 'bad' days even when you didn't over-extend yourself on your good days. The key is to just keep a moderate level of activity so your body tries to work the way its supposed to. So with that key point made, I guess I should get up, take my shower & gather up all my make-up goodies to take to mom's. That way we'll have a good long time to primp before we have to leave.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You are still in my thoughts and prayers!
Does your scalp tingle? Mine began tingling on and off when my hair started to come out. I ended up shaving off what was left of mine (just small amounts of "whisps" left), but if I had it all to do over again....I'd just keep the hair that didn't fall out.
My last chemo treatment was December 1, 2008 and I just the other day had enough hair back to actually get a hair cut! Mine came back VERY CURLY!
Hang in there! You are that much closer to the end of this! You are not alone!
Blessings.

Erika said...

My scalp isn't tingling, just kind of itchy. I think I'm still in the early stages of losing my hair. Its just a few strands at a time. My mom's came back curly too, so there's hope for me to have curly hair at least for a little while! Who knew that chemo was the new way to get a new hair-style?!?!

Total Pageviews

Smiling already at 2 weeks

Smiling already at 2 weeks
Rachel has been smiling as a response to other people since day one.

And two shall become one...

And two shall become one...
In 2006, Andrew & I became one before God and family! Shortly thereafter we became 3 with the birth of Simon in 2008... Then 4 with the addition of Rachel in 2009!

Erika's Miracle Journey Continues's Fan Box